MAC x LORDE Makeup Masterclass With Amber D
To celebrate the launch of pop’s most sophisticated royal’s Limited Edition Makeup Collection in her hometown, Lorde visited the team at the M.A.C Pro Britomart store in Auckland, New Zealand.
Soon after Lorde’s store visit, the singing sensation’s makeup artist – a superstar in her own right – Amber D, held a makeup masterclass for media, which she presented by recreating the three faces of Ella Yelich-O’Connor aka Lorde, all while sharing funny stories, along with tips and tricks, from her time with the teenage chart-topper.
A dark red or purple lip is now one of the most requested makeup looks, both in-store and on international runways, something those in the industry refer to as the ‘Lorde effect’, which is undoubtedly a good thing it is so popular, given that as of Friday 27 June, Lorde’s new MAC collection will be available for all those dying to get their hands on the perfect Lorde-lippy!
Amber D explained that she often jokingly calls Lorde ‘teen goth’ (a reference often made when referring to the songstress) but only because she knows Lorde hates it and they love to give each other a bit of shtick, before the star heads out on stage! Amber went on to say that nothing could be further from the truth “she’s not a goth, she doesn’t paint her face white (as often stated in magazines) she’s just naturally fair-skinned and loves a dark lip!”. When not touring the world performing, Ella generally doesn’t wear a lot of makeup, although if she wanted to, the singer is quite confident applying her own makeup (this is generally Mineralize Powder and eyeliner).
Amber stated “Ella’s makeup look is actually quite a fresh & natural look, more luminous than anything (other than the pop of rich dark lip colour of course) and one that needs to be created quickly”. Amber explained that the singer has a very ‘teen-attention-span’ and that Ella would rather be on Instagram and Twitter than sitting still for too long, and it’s because of this, the process of prepping Lorde for the stage, is not a lengthy one, nor one that calls for heavy foundation application.
Create Lorde’s makeup look using Amber D’s walk-through:
- Apply Prep n Prime Vibrancy Eye to smooth the eye area and moisturising Lip Conditioner
- Mix Strobe Cream with Natural Radiance Primer in Pink
- For foundation – Mineralize Moisture foundation
- Prep n Prime Highlighter in Radiant Rose
- Six Grid Concealer Palette (a mix of two to match Lorde’s skin tone)
- Prep n Prime Loose Powder
- Mineralize Skin Finish
- Sculpting Cream (under the cheekbone and outer forehead)
- Cream Blush – So Sweet So Easy
- Brows – Penultimate Brown Brow Pen & Clear Brow Set
- Eyelids – Groundwork Paintpot all over the lid (sometimes Amber uses the Paintpot colour – Perky). Apply ‘All That Glitters’ eyeshadow across the lid. Pink Freeze eyeshadow on the centre of the lid. Rapid Penultimate black eyeliner across the lash line (tight-lining technique)
- Eyelashes – Amber uses a lash curler (and ‘half-lash’ curler) followed by Extended Play Mascara in Black
- Finishing highlighting touches – Pearl Cream Colour on highest point of cheekbone and bridge of nose, followed by Silver Dust Powder directly on top of the Cream Colour.
- Lips – Vino Lip Pencil all over the lip and of course – Pure Heroine lipstick to complete the look.
M.A.C Lorde eyeliner and lipstick are available in-store Friday 27 June. $40 each
Lorde in-store photo credit: Rene Vaile
A Girl Interrupted By Fashion, Beauty & Anything Pretty That Catches My Eye