My Halloween Haul & The Best Place To Shop For All Hallows’ Eve…
Halloween may not be as big here as it is in America, but I’m hoping, as it grows more and more popular, that eventually we will get into Halloween here in New Zealand as much as they do overseas. Me personally, I love an excuse to theme the house, dress up and fully immerse myself in a tradition or holiday occasion (I’ll admit there’s no occasion as big as Christmas, but still, an excuse to have a bit of light-hearted fun, is as good a reason as any right?!).
So I went shopping today to pick up few things to get into the spirit (excuse the pun) of Halloween. Just a couple of items to put around the house to get ready for when the kids come a callin. Thankfully we do have kids in our neighbourhood that go “trick or treating”, so we like to fill the house with lots of treats and spooky Halloween decorations – admittedly, this is not great when you have to get up in the middle of the night and you bump into a scary mask or see eerie flickering lights that you forgot you had put up.
I hit the Halloween jackpot with the very first store I visited, which I kinda thought I would as this place is known for going all out on festive occasions, but I was so surprised at how cheap everything was and the range was absolutely amazing! I went to www.marthasbackyard.co.nz in Mt Wellington, which, if you haven’t already visited, you must! They are amazing! Everything you have ever seen on any american movie is in this store! I even tracked down a coveted EOS Lip Balm that I’d been wanting to buy for ages. And don’t even get me started on Christmas decorations (also, if you ever need an abundance of ‘frat party red cups’, they’ve got those too). Anyway, I digress, onto the haul and what else they had in-store…
The things I bought:
- Inflatable Black Cat and Pumpkin. These are so adorbs and they were only $3.50 each. They’re actually quite big, so a total bargain at that price.
- Spooky Ghost Transfer. Again, this was about $3. It’s pretty long and it glows in the dark! It will definitely be going on the hallway mirror.
- Cute Lil Black Socks with sparkly bones. $3.50. Just fun to wear in the run up to Halloween.
- Owl Kitchen Towel. OMG this was too cute not to get. I think it was around the $4 mark. It had an owl on it so basically I just had to have it.
- Fabric Fall Leaves. $3 These look so cool as table decorations for a Halloween dinner and then just sprinkled along counter tops. Another must have!
- Trick or Treat Bags. $1.50 These are for ‘trick or treating’ and as we don’t have kids, and definitely wont be trick or treat’n, I’ll just use them to store candy.
- Candy Corn. $4 One of my fave lollies and they look cute as decoration in a glass bowl.
- Halloween Bottle Stickers. $3.50(ish) OK so this is my favourite of all the things I bought. With stickers that wrap around a wine bottle (or any bottle) stating things like “Red Blood, “Spider Venom” and “Liquid Phantom” I just had to have these to dress up the wine bottles for a dinner party.
Here’s a few snaps of all the other things that they had in store. I was really tempted to get some of the pumpkin candles, however my guy was with me and managed to make me see sense in that we already have enough Halloween candles to sink a battle ship, so I refrained (although he didn’t see me sneak some cute orange serviettes (featuring black cats) into the basket – WINNING! Oh, and I may have got this witches hat too (hey if the hat fits right ha ha).
A Girl Interrupted By Fashion, Beauty & Anything Pretty That Catches My Eye